Job Title: Editor and Desktop Publisher
Report to: Administrator
Work closely with:Marketing Associate
Manage book projects from start to finish
- Send and track author contracts.
- Inventory manuscripts (figures, tables, author biographies, permission forms).
- Create book schedules.
- Communicate deadlines to authors and editorial department.
- Assist authors in meeting deadlines.
- Obtain quotes from printers and work as a liaison with printers.
- Aid in the publication of the catalog two times a year.
- Typesetting and book production. Format and place images.
- Edit and proofread manuscripts.
- Proof final manuscripts before sending to printer.
- Proof printer bluelines.
- Prepare, update, and distribute author packets.
- Research and study acquisition and product development procedures.
- Solicit all potential contacts for submissions of products.
- Formulate creative procedures for increasing authorship.
- Solicit submissions from various sources on a regular basis and make it a prominent part of acquisitions.
- Review submissions received and assigned.
- Do initial product development work on submitted and contracted products: work with authors on their submissions, giving direction and ideas to authors, production, marketing.
- B.A. in English or Journalism preferred.
- Preferred computer skills: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Office (especially Excel and Word), Retrospect, basic HTML, and familiarity with computer hardware and basic computer troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style.
- Experience in a Mac environment.
- Mastery of the English language.
- High-level reading and writing skills.
- Publication editing skills.
- Maintain quality work and ensure accuracy throughout the editing and publishing process.
- Experience with graphic design and web graphics.
- Basic cash handling, bookkeeping or accounting skills.
- Assist with production of CD-ROM products and printing labels.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of the team.
- Ability to identify priorities and set deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to take initiative in finding projects to benefit the company, even if they are not assigned to you.
- Communicate clearly with all co-workers to ensure that all tasks are completed on time.
- Work cooperatively with others to complete tasks.
- Be able to handle interruptions, such as phone calls.
- Ask questions about procedures or priorities that are unclear.
- Feel comfortable asking questions and referring to manuals, and retain what you learn.
- Ability to document methods of performing tasks and update written documentation.
Please email your resume to Steve Weintraub or mail it to:
Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company
Attn: Steve Weintraub
PO Box 30040
Tucson, AZ 85751-0040