Elevator and Escalator Accident Reconstruction and Litigation, Third Edition
- Authors: James Filippone, Joel D. Feldman, Ronald D. Schloss, David A. Cooper, Joseph L. Stabler
- ISBN-13: 978-1936360048
- Copyright Date Ed: January 1, 2012
- Pages: 448 pages
- Binding Information: Casebound with DVD
- Size: 6.5 ✕ 9.5 Inches (US)
You're considering the case of a maintenance worker injured while repairing an elevator, or an elderly woman hurt on a department store escalator while doing some weekend shopping with her grandchildren. An initial search of the literature has turned up almost nothing useful. Your instinct tells you the cases are good, but to evaluate them properly, you need this new addition to our litigation series.
The key questions are: what caused the accident, and what were the contributory factors? Some accidents have an element of "in the wrong place at the wrong time" about them, while others have an element of disregard for the equipment involved. Sadly, others fall into the category of sheer negligence or incompetence. This book will help you determine the difference. This new third edition revises and adds new content, with the most up-to-date information to help you succeed in these cases.
The authors have investigated numerous elevator and escalator accidents. Their expertise will guide you as you make your decision to take or reject the cases, and their experience will give you the basic understanding of the issues you need to understand to proceed with confidence.
- Codes, regulations and related subjects--for the U.S., with consideration of Canada and the U.K.
- Accident statistics and selected incidents
- The elements of typical escalator accidents
- Reviewing and understanding maintenance documents
- Presuit investigation: should a suit be instituted?
- Legal theories and negligence
- A glossary and a sample expert report
- Pleadings--excerpt of a typical complaint
- Discovery--sample interrogatories, request for production of documents and corporate designee notices
- Expert opinion: the applicability of Daubert, Khumo and Frye
This book is also available as an eBook. Click here to purchase and download:
Table of Contents
Photographs and Illustrations
Chapter 1: Codes, Regulations and Related Issues
Chapter 2: Description of the Equipment and Illustrations
Chapter 3: Accident Statistics
Chapter 4: Reasons for and Causes of Accidents, Improving Safety and Limiting Liability
Chapter 5: Pre-Suit Investigation
Chapter 6: Legal Theories and the Standard of Care
Chapter 7: Pleadings
Chapter 8: Discovery
Chapter 9: Expert Opinion
Chapter 10: The U.K. Experience
Appendix A: Sample Expert Report
About the Authors